8.5.10

Ich habe fotografiert!

Alright! Life is good!

Sorry for all the enthusiasm, but I'm just so excited to be here!! I love Germany so much!!

It's finally Saturday! Woo! Of course, that means I have a lot of homework to do. 7 assignments for this weekend. Well, it's not too bad since I've already done 6 of them haha. A lot of them were very tedious, dictionary-related assignments. But it's ok. I'm here to learn German, so tedious German work is okay. =D

One major bummer - I don't have Microsoft Word anymore. D: It didn't get put back on when I had to get a new hard drive. Since I got my computer back the day before I left, I didn't take the time to mess with it. I also believed I'd have the internet at home, which meant I could much more easily access the things I need. But whatever. I can live without it for a while. I'm downloading a trial version, which should last 30 days? And my dad can probably email me the code anyway, so it should all be fine. =D

Our host - Marion - is finally back! We don't really see her much... she keeps to herself I guess. I don't really know. But the last time she asked us something, it was auf Deutsch! I was afraid she'd use English all the time and I didn't want to have to ask her to stop. It seems rude somehow even though it really isn't. I don't know how to explain that one.

I'm learning a little bit every day. I really like my classes at school. We have them for 4 hours Monday - Thursday and only 3 hours on Friday, which is nice. I think I explained this already... I can't remember. Between this and email updates to my parents, it gets confusing haha. Anyway.

I have pictures to share! There are kind of a lot, but I figure that's a good thing in this instance. So here we go!

I was supposed to meet up with some friends yesterday, but either I was at the wrong place or they just didn't show. Either way, no biggie haha. I hang out with people all the time, so having some alone time was actually pretty fun!

I started out at Alexanderplatz, at the fountain of Poseidon (Neptunbrunnen).



Pretty, isn't it? It's HUGE! I don't have any pictures of people standing next to it, sadly, to give some perspective. Oh well. I think you get the idea anyway. The 4 women around the fountain represent the 4 main rivers of Prussia. I don't know which one this one is though.

While I was waiting, I met little Olivia. Isn't she adorable?!



She was with her mom and her mom's friend, but while she was playing she came up to talk to me. We didn't get very far though. She didn't understand that I'm not German and therefore can't speak German very well. But, then again, she looks to be about 4. Can't expect much global awareness at that age haha.

After that, I started to wander around quite a bit. I had nothing else to do, you know? Haha. I've been to some of these places already with Nathan and some of the other kids, but I didn't have my camera with me so I went back to snap a couple of photos.

The first place I went was the Chapel of Mary (or Marienkirche). I couldn't take pictures inside but here's one of the outside:



They're reconstructing the inside. I don't know why. It's the second oldest church in Berlin (so really in Germany). You can go inside but not very far. There really isn't much to see inside. Hopefully the construction will be done before I leave.

After that, I wandered around some more! See a theme? Haha.

I passed by the big pointy thing... I don't know what it's called! Shame on me. I think it's just the Fernsehturm (TV tower) but I could be wrong.



It's even bigger than it looks here. It's probably close to 2 km high. It's massive! I walked all the way around it, just to see how long it would take. It took close to 15 minutes, but there were also MASSES of people there. I don't know what was going on. It looked like some new music exhibit had opened, but most people weren't even looking at it, so I have no idea.

After that, I walked by the "Berlin Dome." (or just "Dom.")



I didn't go inside there either because I think you have to pay. But let me tell you, even walking by it is amazing. It's one of the tallest churches in the world, even after being heavily damaged during the war. It amazing. I know you can go it at 18:00 for free if you want to go to the service. I've been told it's a very beautiful service. I'm planning on going one of these days, though I won't be able to take pictures then. It would be too disrespectful. But sadly, no pictures will be posted. D: Sorry!

After I left there, I started walking around the older part of town. From there, I want to Nikolaikirche (Nicholas's church). It's the oldest church in Berlin. I couldn't go inside because I would have had to pay for that too and it cost an arm and a leg! And you have to pay extra to take pictures. So lame. But it looked beautiful.



Unfortunately, my computer's batteries are about to die and there seems to be no place to plug it in. I'll have to finish this on Monday I'm afraid. And by then I'm sure I'll have more to share. I hope you're all looking forward to it! More pictures are soon to come.

Berlin is just beautiful, isn't it?

I think I'll love it even more when it isn't quite so cold and rainy haha. But even that taken in to consideration, it's still amazingly beautiful.

Ich liebe Berlin!!

Ok. All for now. Bye everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment